Tuesday, January 05, 2016

First Featured Knit of the Year - Conveniently Knit Last Year

So I think it's time to feature some fine knitting on this here knitting blog.

I've heard rumor that I do in fact knit from time to time.  Like during nap time.  And after bed time.  And at knitting time.

I knit this little beauty during my summer spree of baby sweaters.



And it is a beauty to behold and the Queen really seems to enjoy wearing it.

Pattern:  Child's Aran Pullover

Yarn:  Recycled Cotton from a Savers sweater

Needles:  Size 7 and size 8

Modifications:  Because this sweater was for the Bean I attempted to modify it to fit her physiology better.  People with Down syndrome tend to have shorter limbs and a longer torso.  The Queen is no exception.  So while I cast on for a 2T size, I knit the sleeves an inch or so shorter than recommended, and I knit the torso for a 3T fit.

Review:

The sleeves are still too long


But how fabulous is all that knitted texture


It's the little details of a pattern that get me.  Like the cable running up the sleeve.


I just adore it.

Now this yarn may have been, alright let's keep it real, it absolutely was way too thin to knit on those size needles to this kind of gauge.

But I don't care.

I've realized that I prefer a big drapey fabric when I knit.  I don't want a sweater knit so tightly it can stand up all by itself.

So the pattern on the torso might be a bit more open than the designer intended.

Who cares?

I love it.

And so does the Queen.


And that's all that matters.

and now I will feature a cute picture of Queen Bean for no reason at all.


I love how tiny she looks on the new couch.

Side note:  Let me be a cautionary tale.  Never go shopping with low blood sugar.  You might black out and when you come to you find you've somehow managed to purchase two new couches and WAY too many throw pillows.

Or at least that's my story...

 and I'm sticking to it.

3 comments:

Nancy McCarroll said...

A beautiful sweater and great new couches! Woot!

katiemetzroth said...

I feel like you live in a warmer climate, so this seems to be on purpose to me. a nice airy sweater. :)

Mattsmom said...

I love this. I love her. I LOVE it when you post a knitting post. Like a lot.