Tuesday, April 02, 2013

All In An Afternoon


Seriously, one afternoon.

Not even the entire afternoon.

Just, like, two episodes of Battlestar Galactica.

I was relieved/disappointed it went so quickly.


Knitting with pom-pom yarn is not for the faint of heart.  I used size 10.5 needles (the biggest I own) and cast on 10 stitches.  I knit two stitches and let the poms lay in the ladder between the stitches.

I'm not gonna lie.  I hate this yarn and it hurt my hands like nobody's business.  I think it is evil and might be a crime against nature.  Even if the scarf is so smooshy and cuddly.

I hate it.



But she is so happy.

It was totally worth it.

Unfortunately, I purchased four skeins to make this scarf.

Only one skein of yarn was actually required to knit this scarf.



I had plans to trade the excess yarn on ravelry.  Or donate it.  Or give it away.  Or sacrifice it to the yarn Gods next time I need a knitting miracle.

Only Pork Chop and Bird really like this scarf too.

I smiled and agreed it was cute.  No way on this green earth was I going to admitt that I had more of this yarn.  Probably enough to squeak out another child and a teen size scarf.  Did I mention my hands ached.  From only two hours of knitting.  No way was I going to set myself up for that kind of misery.  I can be full of hate and self-loathing, but even I have my limits.

Then Meaty piped up and announced "She has three more skeins of the yarn."

He totally sold me out.

That kid is getting coal in his stocking.  And when he looks at me with his big hazel eyes full of misery and disappointment and asks why I will tell him "You know what you did."

And he will know.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have seen it used in a darling little girl sweater. The knitter used a basic yarn to knit it, but every 4th row she knit with the pom-pom yarn. She would knit until a pom was ready to come next. Brought the yarn forward, slipped the knit stitch, yarn to back and then knit, rinse and repeat. It would leave a blip of color from the poms. It really was cute. But a pain to use the yarn.

Deb Hickman said...

Hehe, kids , they always get you in trouble but got to admit the scarf is gorgeous. I can see why they want one. X

Mrs. H said...

ROFL! Have I mentioned lately how much I love you? :-D

katiemetzroth said...

I painlessly crocheted an edging on a baby blanket with pom pom yarn. You could try hooking a scarf - hopefully that would hurt less?