The Bee socks are buzzing along. We've hit a few snags. But every design must evolve right?
The first incarnation
Super cute isn't it! But alas, it was enexpectedly stretchy. Turns out the bee stitch is very elastic. I cast on 60 stitches using sock weight yarn and could fit it on my daughter's head. (Should have taken a picture of that. I'm a bad blogger.) My feet are not small, but they're not that big either.
The next incarnation
I did a gauge swatch! And Math! And I even tried to account for the super stretchy-ness of the bee stitch. Not bad. I liked the way the colors knit up in the first try better, too much orange here. And where did the green go? But there is a kind of cool plaid effect going on. Overall? Not too shabby. But Katrina pointed out the pattern stitch was upside down and she liked it better right side up. I must confess I thought this upstanding mother of three was smoking crack. But the more I stared at my sock and flipped my sock this way and that I realized she was right. The pattern stitch was most definitely upside down and it didn't look as nice. There was only one inescapable conclusion that could be drawn from this.
The sock would have to be knit *gasp, shock, horror* toe up.
So toe up I knit.
I still prefer how the colors knit in the first sock, but this isn't too bad either. Still too much yellow and orange. And I swear there used to be green in this yarn. But the sole of the sock is super cute.
What can I say, I secretly love flashing. Don't hate me. These socks are going to rock.
So in total I have started this sock three times, and I'm still in love. You are so going to want to knit this pattern!