Monday, October 13, 2008

Three Down....

and I declared defeat.

I was trying to get all the costumes done in time for a Halloween party on the 11th. Epic Fail! I might have done it, but I had a bad burger on Tuesday that sidelined me until Saturday (and even Saturday I wasn't feeling 100%). I just didn't have it in me to stay up into the wee hours of the night and sew. I preferred to spend my time lying in bed moaning and praying for death. The Greatest knew I was over the hump when I stopped praying for death and merely wished for unconsciousness. It took everything I had to finish sewing Bird's costume, including sixteen hand sewn snaps to hold the collar in place. After that I was done. Just defeated.

I was so sad I didn't even get started on Pork Chop's costume. I hadn't even taken the time to cut it out. I had failed her as a Mommy. But a quick consultation with Pork Chop revealed that she was perfectly fine wearing last year's Halloween costume as long as I P.R.O.M.I.S.E.D. to have her Dorothy costume done in time for her school party. You know, the real party, the one that actually counts. I promised.

But it wasn't a complete failure, because THIS is Bird's costume.

Photobucket



I KNOW!!! Isn't it fabulous! Sometimes I amaze myself! I thought that collar was going to kill me. It was just going to take over where the bad burger left off and finish me. And three layers of tulle in the over skirt! I'm not sure how Bird talked me into this costume in the first place. I'm pretty sure it had something to do with her batting her enormous green eyes at me.

Photobucket



But convince me she did. And it was so worth every tiny snap that made my eyes cross and my head feel like it was going to explode. She was so happy. She insisted on being called Snow White. She said my Bird would return after the party, but while she was wearing her dress she was Snow White.

So in the end everyone had a costume for the party, and with the exception of Sweet Pea, they were all happy with their costumes.

Photobucket



At the party they had a costume parade with judging. Whenever anyone complimented Bird I told her to reply "Thanks, my Mommy made my dress." I KNOW! Shameless! But the best part is she won an award in the costume contest.

Photobucket



Again, just look how happy she is. She was so proud to have a "reward." She even slept with it. And I was pretty pleased too. The Greatest was teasing me that the award was really for me. And it kinda was.

4 comments:

turtlegirl76 said...

Of course it was! You totally deserve a prize!

shiguy4076 said...

That smile with her holding her award is the best picture. It makes my heart melt. what a awesome mom you are. That was a beautiful costume. Once again I must say you are a genius!

Charlotte & Dustin said...

What a beautiful costume! Oh and the little girl is cute too :)

Jknits said...

That's an awesome costume - what a fun story. (visiting from Holly Jo's blog)