Thursday, July 02, 2009

Shhhhh......

Are you as sick of the pool as I think you are? It is time for something new. It is about time for some knitting around these here parts. I have, after all, heard rumor that this is a knitting blog.

As you may or may not know I've got a small mountain of finished knits to show off. A mountain I finished almost six weeks ago. The stack of handmade loveliness sat in my family room for two weeks. I didn't want to put them away because I just knew I was going to photograph them...tomorrow. When I finally faced reality and admitted that they weren't going to get photographed anytime soon I moved them to my closet where they were safer, not completely safe, but safer, from sticky little fingers. On the shelf in a tidy pile they have sat and sat and sat. They've been taking up space in there for almost a month? What were they waiting for? What could possibly be keeping me from shamelessly showing off my fabulously brilliant knits with the world? What the heck was I waiting for?

I, my dear friends, was waiting for a good hair day.

That's right.

A good hair day.

And apparently I haven't amassed enough good karma for one yet. What do I gotta do? Sacrifice a child? Cause I'm almost there people. Almost.There.

So it wasn't a good hair day, but it was a clean hair day. Some days that's really the best I can hope for. The pictures are silly because The Greatest took them. Forgive me, they don't really show off the sweater at all. But you get the general idea.


Can you believe I finally posted a picture without the pool?!!!



Pattern: Whisper Cardigan, size M

Yarn: Misti Alpaca Lace weight

Needles: The pattern calls for sizes 7, 4, and 2. I might have used those sizes. Or I might have used a 6, 3, and 2. Although, come to think of it, I don't remember using a needle as small as a 3, or a 2 on this project at all. I have no idea what I used. I just don't remember the details. I know, bad blogger, no diet coke for me.

Modifications: None that I can remember. But I also can't remember what needle size I used, so I don't think my memory counts for much at this point. It is entirely possible that I might have modified the heck out of this sweater. I just don't know.


Yup, that's probably my bra strap.



Review: First of all, let me just state for the record: The sleeves are actually the same length. I know they look like they're not, but they really really are. You're just going to have to believe me on this. Same Length.

I'm feeling mixed about this sweater. I love the light weight fabric of the sweater. I enjoyed the interesting construction. I love the slight roll of the unfinished edges. I didn't even mind the endless stockinette stitch too much. It made for great TV knitting. And *sigh* how I love lazy-bad TV watching-knitting. And let's talk for a second about the yarn. Oh how I loves me some Misti Alpaca Lace weight. Oh the sheen. Oh the soft. Oh the love. On paper this project is made of win!

I'm just not so sure about it on my body.


See what I mean?



I might have been better off knitting the smaller size. It looks alright in the pictures, but after a few movements it starts to slid off my shoulders causing me to have to constantly re-adjust the sweater. I wanted to wear it over sleeveless items in the summer. I know it is hot, oh so hot, outside, but it can get downright frigid in the over-achieving air conditioning. This whisper light cardigan seemed like the perfect solution. It is such a shame I find wearing it too fiddly. I wonder if it will be better in the winter, over a t-shirt, if it would stick to fabric on my shoulder and not slide around so much. I guess I'll find out when it starts to get cold.

In late November.

So as we breathlessly await winter to discover the true wearablilty of this sweater, admit it, size problems aside, that is one fine looking piece of knitting.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It's lovely. Have you though about using a decortive pin to keep the fronts together and maybe anchor the shoulders?

Bezzie said...

I love it!!! Bring on Late November!

Stephanie said...

My, your hair is LONG now! I think it looks great!

Tammy said...

LOL - I've been waiting for a good hair day to do a few shoots too.

Whisper is very cute, and I love the red! I say try a pin like Chris suggested!