Tuesday, July 08, 2014

A July Miracle

Bird has been crocheting circles around me.

CIRCLES.

The kid is non stop with that hook.

When she goes back to school and has to write an essay on "How I spent my summer vacation" she will just turn in a book full of pictures of all the things she has created.

I figure it is a summer well spent.

But not wanting to be out done today I buckled down and finished something.

For Bird.


Pattern:  Rikke Hat

Yarn:  $1 yarn from Big Lots, 2 skeins

Needles:  16 inch size 6 bamboo circular needles

Modifications:  When I cast on 124 stitches I got a hat large enough to be a sweater for her.  So I only cast on 80 stitches.  When I did the crown decreases I decreased every 10 stitches, and followed the decrease pattern every other row (which makes sense to me if I ever go back to knit this again, but that last part probably looks like nonsense to every one else in the world.  I'm okay with that.)

Review:


This hat is a hit.

And my baby looks ridiculously cute in hats


I love the smooshy garter stitch.  Love it, love it, love it.  Garter stitch is so under rated. When I was knitting the hat I told Bird it was for her.  I kinda wish I hadn't done that.  I kinda wish this hat in all its smooshy garter stitch glory was mine.

But it isn't.

*Le sigh*

I had just enough yarn left over.

I tried to resist.

But I couldn't help myself.

Two breast pumping sessions and I had...


Knit a matching hat for the baby.


I only cast on 55 stitches for this version.  Decreased for crown every 9 stitches.

Look how cute they are together


Seriously


Can you stand the cuteness?

The other girls were jealous.

At first they insisted they be allowed to take a picture wearing the hat with the baby.



Then they insisted I knit each of them their very own big sister/baby hat set.

Looks like I'd better get to work.

And in one final note of cuteness


Sweet Pea making sure Squishy is ready for her close up

Because that's what big sisters are for.

No comments: