Monday, February 07, 2011

That Time of Year

Photobucket



This can only mean one thing.

ITS HULA TIME!

And I've gotta make costumes.

And with an out of town guest coming this week, and all the cleaning that implies. And a Knitpicks deadline looming. And sick children (it was Pork Chop's turn to puke today). I am busy.

But I learned a new skill today

Photobucket



Photobucket



I can now make hula headpieces from flowers and raffia. Go Me!

There is something about making stuff, when you don't know how to do it the making seems like magic. Especially the making of the bottom headpiece. I thought I might be able to pull off the braided headpiece on my own. Maybe. But it wouldn't have been as nice. I know that for a fact. But when they showed me the red flowered piece and assured me it was simple you just "wrapped it" I felt queasy. And I was sure the queasy had nothing to do with our recent problems with a certain stomach flu. I follow direction well, but sometimes I need directions. And Auntie was kind enough to give me directions. And now I know something new! GO ME!

Two headpieces down. Only one to go. Plus three pau skirts, two dresses, one conch shell turned horn, and an ipu heke to go. And we'll be all ready for the Aloha Festival.

And we've got to learn the dances.

Not much.

Plus my cleaning.

And my knitpicks deadline.

And my sick kids.

It's that time of year.

The time I give up sleep.

No comments: