Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Ravellenic Report

This year for the Ravellenic I was trying to medal in the Sweater Triathlon.  I came really darn close.  Ridiculously close.


Photobucket

I did everything but weave in the ends and sew on buttons.

I didn't finish the sweater because I hate it.  It was not a good yarn/pattern match.  The sweater was too floppy.  The yarn didn't have enough structure at the gauge to hold its shape.  The sweater was destined for the frog pond.  I was not about to sew buttons to a sweater just so I could cut them off.  I came so close to being a champion, but in the end I guess I just didn't have it in me.

Devastated by my failure I searched for redemption.  With just a half hour before I had to pick the children up from school I searched for a reprieve.  It came in the form of a very old skein of knitpicks dye your own sock yarn.


Photobucket

And an Easter Egg dying kit.


Photobucket

I am now the proud medalist in the Hand dyed High Dive!


Photobucket

Don't you just love it!


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

When my Step-Mom gave me the alpaca sock yarn she said she bought the natural color so I could dye it any color I wanted.  I thought she was crazy.  The yarn was so lovely as it was, just as the alpaca grew it.  But now I'm casting my eye around the house to see what else I could dye, and I am tempted.  I am oh so tempted.

Elated by my success I didn't stop there.  My dear friend stopped by to see me and asked if I had ever finished her headband.  I was ridiculously close.  After she left I sat down, and fifteen minutes later


Photobucket

I was a medalist in WIP Wrestling.

Still, I couldn't stop.  I was a knitter on fire!  (Plus the Greatest was working, so I was all alone and dangerous things tend to happen when I am left to my own devices)

I pulled out a sweater I had knit and hated.


Photobucket

A little after midnight and I was a medalist in the Frogging Trampoline.

Photobucket

I turned around the next day and immediately cast on for something new


Photobucket

I would have medaled in the Cast On Mania Trap Shoot, but I failed to fill out the paper work in time.  Real life intervened and I remembered I had four children, two rabbits, two dogs, a husband, and a house to take care of.  And one of those children was sick.

Man I hate real life.

Bird has decided that when she grows up she is going to "be a Mom and sit and knit all day."

I'm crazy amused and slightly disturbed that this is what she things my life is like.

And I wish that were what my life was actually like.

But I'm getting off topic here.

Ravellenics: two weeks to earn medals and I earned three medals in the last 24 hours, not too shabby!

2 comments:

Minding My Own Stitches said...

That's awesome. No such last minute heroics here :( Oh well, at least it's finished :)

That picture of the rabbit with the knitting is crazy hilarious. I just can't stop looking at it, all the while trying to decide exactly what the rabbit is thinking.

Anonymous said...

I love this!!!!! I salute your triple medal greatness!