Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Oh Pretty

Somehow talking about how well the Queen was doing at therapy put a jinx on us.  We were immediately striken with the plague. 

First the Queen.

And then me.

(and Sweet Pea and Bird to a lesser degree, but mostly me).

We have not left the house in ten days.  We have not been to a single therapy session.  The Queen has not attended a second of preschool.  She hasn't even asked to go to preschool, which is saying something.  That morning I was supposed to take all five kids to the dentist?  I totally bailed on that (which I hate to do, it is a lot of appointments to cancel at once, but they did not want us breathing their air).  All activities of life have been cancelled.

So no progress on the therapy socks. 

I did knit two projects for Knit Picks.  But no pictures allowed until they publish.  Although I don't see the harm in sharing a swatch photo.



The Queen thought the swatches made really nice tiny blankets.  I've tried to explain to her that she wouldn't need tiny blankets if she would wear clothes, but she is four and going through her nudist period.  It is not unusual for her to leave a room wearing pajamas and return fully nude.  For a child who is unable to dress herself I am a little baffled by how she manages to undress herself.  I'm grateful for every minute she consents to keeping her diaper on.

So since there is a distinct lack of knitting to show I'm going in a different direction with some good old fashioned yarn p*rn.

I was gifted some lovely yarn from a dear friend.


Blue with sparkles.  Was there ever a more perfect sock yarn for me?


And this riot of rainbow just makes me happy.  I can't wait to make some happy stripey socks!  There are people I know who make my life brighter just by existing.  My friend is one of them.  Thank you dear friend.

But that was not the only beautiful yarny goodness that holidays blessed me with.


My little brother braved a yarn store and bought me a gorgeous skein of the good stuff.  He called me asking how to tell what was good stuff.  I told him he was in an actual yarn store, not the yarn section of Hobby Lobby or Jo-Anns, it's all good stuff.  He put me on the phone with the store owner who asked me a few questions about what I like to knit and she helped him choose something perfect.  I love that my brother told her "My sister knows what she's doing.  She blocks stuff!" 


Look at those colors and that beautiful twist.  Big shout out to Country Yarns in Wallingford, Connecticut.  In a perfect world they would be local to me.

And of course this orphan wandered in off the street to help me take pictures



If only someone loved her enough to brush her hair and put some weather appropriate clothes on her.  Poor unloved orphan girl. 

At least she has a diaper on.

I find myself in need of a project.  An easy no math no brain project.  I've got a bunch of black mohair I'm thinking of making into a cocoon sweater type thingie (I'm pretty sure that's the official term.)  Just miles and miles of stockinette.  It's either going to be the most awesome item in my wardrobe or a monstrosity that I will quietly donate to Goodwill. 

May the odds be ever in my favor.

No comments: