Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The Exciting Unveiling

I know everyone is anxious to see pictures of finished objects from my wanton weekend of unsupervised knitting.

And I promise, you will not be disappointed.......

Interweave Knits Eyelet Chemise
not done

Knitpicks Candle Flame Shawl
lumpy lace

Knitty's Mon Petite Chou
can you even tell what this is?

......Or maybe you will.

No, don't go, I can explain. I really can. I was going to have finished objects. I was going to have beautiful garments to show. I really was. I had the best of intentions. Without the Greatest here to keep my insane urge to knit in check I was going to go hog wild (although I really don't know what hogs do when they get wild). It was going to be all dry cereal and chicken nuggets eaten off paper plates. No baths, no rule, no nothing, just insane knitting. It was going to be heaven.

The lack of FOs is all Sarah Michelle Gellars fault. Her and her evil master Joss Whedon. I'll admit it. I made a real mistake when I made the last minute decision to combine Knitfest 2006 with Buffyfest 2006 (not to be confused with Buffyfest 2005).

I started with season 1 on Saturday. I finished my Candle Flame shawl on schedule. I also finished a few little things I was making for my SP, but I can't show them, they're a surprise. Not to be thrown off course I finished the sleeves for my Eyelet Chemise.

On Sunday I began Season 2 and started weaving in ends. Ends were woven in, string was strung for blocking. Things were moving right along. I got hung up and spent most of the day working on the crochet edging for the eyelet chemise. I'm still not satisfied with it, but the crochet hook was giving me a blister so I decided to block it and see how it goes. I had my shawl, my chemise, secret presents, and my Mon Petit Chou (which I finished knitting the same weekend I finished Leda's Dream) that all needed blocking. I was sprinting towards the ribboned finished line of Finished Objects.

This is where things went horribly wrong. I can only block things in my bedroom. It is the only place that is somewhat safe enough to have all those pins just laying around while the children are conscious. There is still no guarantee that they won't wander in and pull all the pins out, but it is safer than having it in the living room. The only problem is there is no DVD player in my bedroom. I could not block and continue Buffyfest 2006. I could not pin my shawl and still admire Sarah Michelle Gellar's perfect hair, or cring at Willow's horrible sweaters paired with unusually cute necklaces. I could not openly drool (since The Greatest wasn't home) at Angel, and still block my hand knits. I would have been forced to block while listening to cable television, but only up to channel 70, no higher tier channels in the bedroom. We're too cheap to spring for that second cable box. Sure Lifetime Original Movies are just vapid enough to fill the void, but they lack the witty conversation, the made-up words, the joie de vie that is Buffy. (I am pretty sure that's misspelled, but hey, I'm not french, my apologies to France).

What's a girl to do? She's got nothing on the needles but Evil, a pile of knits that need blocked and three more Buffy disks calling her name.

There was a choice to be made here.

ahh, that new knit smell

By casting on for a new project I think I made the right choice.

So if you'll please excuse me my tiny sweater and season 3 are waiting for me. This is the year the school gets swallowed into the Hell mouth. What can I say? Good times.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohhh I am so THRILLED with the Interweave knits chemise. I bought my yarn (even the same color as the pattern haha), I marked all the proper numbers in the pattern so I don't get confused, I have all my sticky notes ready to go and a fantastic mental image. Then I cast on for the Prairie Tunic and am midway through the back of that pattern. I was sooo nervous to do the chemise for fear it would be to hard. Thank you for boosting my confidence by being the first person I have read about to knit it. Oh, and by the way, it's GORGEOUS. Very nice job!!!

Lynda said...

Cold cereal and chicken nuggets! I love this post. I need one of those weekends - with endless video watching (in a knitting conducive room, of course) - and people fending for themselves out of what they can find in the fridge. They don't come often enough.

You made quite a dent in the knitting, though - at least through Seasons 1 and 2!

Anonymous said...

I knew there was a reason I liked you.

That would be my dream weekend. Well, my dream weekend if the man would take the boys with him.

I need to get to the library for some dvds today!

Anonymous said...

You've brought back fond memories of my days of knitting with Buffy. There's not many things that can top that. She's always there waiting for you to bring those knitting needles out and sit back and enjoy. Fun times.

The IK Eyelet Chemise is precious. You always make me want to knit what you've done after I see what magic you've made with your needles.

Yes, whenever in doubt, always, ALWAYS cast on for a new project.

Knittypants said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend. I look forward to seeing your finished knits, but I can wait :-)

Carrie Snider said...

Your writing cracks me up!!! I love it! I had a roommate in college who was a die-hard Buffy fan. I sure miss our Buffyfests...

shiguy4076 said...

You're so hiliarous. Of course you made the right decision casting on a new project. You don't have projects though but works of art. Your knitting is amazing. I love them all.
Shi

Anonymous said...

Nice knitting there! Now you can have another post with the finished objects!! :) Great job!
:) your Cheapy Pal

AmyP said...

Great knitting - and Buffy can be very disracting! Welcome to the Knitting Amys webring!

Hannah said...

Oh gosh! I am SO with you. When in doubt, CAST ON.