Monday, May 09, 2005

For Pete's sake it's only hair

We're all moved, sort of. As moved as we can be for now. We are temporarily staying in my parent's creaky house. It's not so bad, and Pork Chop likes it so much she has already informed me that when we move out she is staying, she's sure Grammie won't mind.

My best friend has also sold her house and the week after I moved, she too moved her family in with her in-laws. We commiserated that there is something very sad about being so old and moving your husband and children and pets in with Parents. To cheer ourselves up before she left we went and got our haircut together. I don't know what it is about a traumatic event that causes a woman to think "I need a new look." But I've always done it. My cousin died, off to the salon. I start college, not without a new look. I get engaged, I cut my very long hair shoulder length, two months later I get married married? Of course I took my already short hair and get a pixie cut. For the most part it seems that the only time I do get my hair cut is around traumatic events (not that getting engaged was traumatic per se, can't say the same about my marriage) and for the most part I am fortunate that there are actual years between events and I usually go from very long hair to very short hair. I'm still working on growing out my "I can't believe I'm having two children so close together" cut. But my best friend needed a new look and I needed a trim so off to the salon we went. We knelt before the alter of hairstyle books like sinners seeking salvation. We poured over the pages as if finding the right look was the key to making life bearable again, and the clue on how to change our life situations. We were asking a lot from our hair. Her hair delivered. When she was done she looked cute and younger and felt great. I should have known when I saw my hairstylist that it was not a good day for a change. Over the years I've realized that if I do not like a person's hair I should under no circumstances let them touch mine. I should have known better than to trust a hairstylist with frizzy hair and bad streaks. I showed her a picture and told her I really liked the bangs and the layers, but I wanted to keep my hair longer than shown in the picture, around my shoulders. She nodded and started cutting. When they're cutting the back you can't see what they're doing, so by the time I was able to see what she was up to it was too late. She was replicating the short look in the picture instead of modifying it for me. Of course at that point the only thing to do is let her finish and hope for the best. I cried over the loss of my hair. I feel like I've already lost so much and now my hair is gone too. The hair cut is cute, I do love the bangs, they're exactly what I asked for. I just wish the back was longer. It's cut in layers, each layer is about an inch and a half long. I didn't think it looked to bad, but no one has said much about it. My hair was past my shoulders before so it is a drastic noticible difference. I was raised that if you can't say anything nice you shouldn't say anything at all, so their silence says a lot. No pictures I'm still too sad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Well, it sounds really cute. In fact, it sounds kind of like the way I used to wear my hair. It will be nice and cool for the summer.
DO NOT get a box of DIY highlights to cheer yourself up! I did that when some psycho shaved half my head, and the highlights came out orange.

Mamma said...

How did you know I was thinking of changing the color next? Guess I'll steer clear of the hair dye until I get my sanity back.