Monday, November 21, 2016

The Final Chapter

So we all remember the infamous "rust" incident right?

And the poor purple sweater I've been trying to knit since October 2012?

It may have taken four years, approximately fifteen billion tries, and two different yarns (the original yarn turned into this sweater), but I finally have an end to the saga of the perfect Grown Up Girl.

*Spoiler Alert*




It's a happy ending.

It may not look like much on the hanger


But on it is the most adorable flattering comfy sweater.

Look how perfect and cute the sleeves are


And my sweet pockets with my sweet tie


I tried finding all the blog links about my attempts to knit this sweater.  I found ten before I gave up out of boredom and a need to go make dinner.  I'm not sure any project has ever been as well documented on this blog as my attempts to create this sweater have been.  I put the links I did find on my Ravelry project page just in case you're new here and feel curious about the back story.  Because there is quite a bit of backstory.

Remember when I was talking about how well documented this project was?   Like three sentences ago?  There was one teensy weensy detail that got left out in all my blogging.  For the life of me I have no idea what yarn that is.  I KNOW it is some sort of knitpicks yarn.  Possibly Swish DK.  It looks like it could be swish dk in eggplant.  But maybe not.  Which is a shame.   Because it is really nice yarn.

Fall finally descended yesterday.  It rained and the temperature dropped 30 degrees in two hours.  The Greatest and I had been trying to sneak away for a date night for weeks, and we decided that Sunday night it was happening.  No matter what.  No excuses.  (and believe me there were lots of reasons not to go, thus is the glamorous life of parenting)

When faced with the unexpected cold front I was delighted to pull my sweater down from the top of the closet (from a shelf I may or may not reach by jumping and desperately grabbing whatever I can manage to grab, which  may or may not be how I ended up wearing my purple sweater on a rainy Sunday night).

The overwhelming majority of my sweaters are knit with fingering or lace weight yarn.  They are thin wisps of an idea of warmth.  This sweater, while not aran weight thick, had a more substantial feel.  As we hurried through the rain I could feel the cold air on my face, but I was warm.  I knew it was chilly in the restaurant, but I, a girl who has a lifetime of feeling cold, was not cold.  I really wish I knew what yarn it was.

I know when I knit the sweater I was concerned that I had placed the back chart too low and should have modified it to be higher up on my shoulders.


When I pulled the sweater out of my closet I didn't even remember having that concern.  I loved everything about the sweater.  If I felt there were fatal flaws when I knit the sweater they had disappeared with time.  The only issue I have with the back of the sweater is the crease from being folded for so long.

(also my bun is super awesome.  I like to document my good hair days, so I tried to get a better picture of it, because it was a fancy bun, but I suck.  The end.)

So it is official.

I finally have a Grown Up Girl of my very own.

And it was worth the wait.

In other news my obsession of plaid knows no bounds.


The Greatest has taken to calling her "Baby Bunyan."

I can live with that.

No comments: