Monday, June 27, 2005

My new obsession

My knitting is coming along swimmingly. I've got the surprise knitting all knit. The pattern calls for some actual sewing, the kind that involves a sewing machine so I've set it aside for a while until I feel the urge to sew (oddly enough it is now sitting beside my Sueete Suede hand bag which is also waiting for a machine sewn liner. Maybe I'll finish them both together). Since the surprise knitting is knit I've returned to my Mariposa. I reknit the right side and have fallen back in love with it. We've quarreled, the pattern and I had a difference of opinion (mainly I thought the sweater should fit) but I've seen the true inner beauty of it and all if forgiven. Gaze upon her loveliness (forgive the unwoven ends and the fact that it is held together with straight pins)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Don't you hate it when you have your husband take a picture and later upon further reflection you realize that there are things like your son's potty chair, your husband's dirty towel, and your nursing bra that just ruin the magic? And let's not even talk about the bad lighting. My point is Mariposa is almost done. Just two straps to go.

This leads me to my next point. I've got a new obsession. It's dangerous and stealing my knitting time. It's the pool. At first it was just a way to keep the kids from killing one another. A way to keep them distracted so they would stop fighting for five minutes and keep me from killing them. Then this amazing thing started happening to me. My skin is changing. It's getting darker and starting to glow. I feel almost luminescent. I think I remember this. It's called a tan isn't it? Years of working in a cold office building have rendered this condition a mere memory. Then I had children, and for the past two years I've had babies too small to expose to the harmful daylight. But this year we're out, almost every day, sitting poolside. It used to be about the children, but now I'm afraid I'll lose my glow and just turn kinda yellow, the ugly yellow of a fading tan. I've gotta keep my tan. But I'm conflicted because it's eating up valuable knitting time. I've tried but it's so hard to knit in the humidity of the poolside, not to mention what would happen if I dropped my yarn in the water. So I sit knitless, guilty and glowing. I wish I could show you a picture of my butt. It's so white it glows in the dark. But this isn't that kind of blog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mariposa looks great!
I never want to take pictures because I know my dirty panties or something will end up in the shot.
Congratulations on your tan! I come in three colors - white, pink, or red. I can't even fade into a tan, I fade back to white. I'm thinking of wearing shorts for the first time in years on the 4th, but I don't know if it's safe.

Ali said...

I never cared for Mariposa before. Now that I see it on you I have reconsidered! It looks GREAT on you! Great colors and the WOW factor is very high.

Love, Ali